Updated: Jun 8, 2022
Hi Shanon, With spring in the air, my children are prone to allergies. What are some ways I can help keep my home allergen-free?
Use spring cleaning as a time to weed and cleanse the pallet of your landscape and home. Just as you’d approach a detox for your body, it’s important to prioritize your approach from the inside out. My Bella Girl, the Hound Dog otherwise known as a “moving target,” with her allergies, has opened my eyes to many creative ways to naturally clean my home.
Here are five easy ways to help you get started:
1. DETOX: For the air to flow, a healthy purge of the things within the home that are gathering dust or taking up space must be removed first. Start putting things aside that you don’t use. Simple as that. It either goes in the “Yes” or “No” pile. If you have to have a “Maybe” pile, consider it a pile you might donate to your favorite local charity and make peace with the fact that your once beloved items will be cherished by someone new.
2. REMOVAL: Now that you have these glorious piles all over your house, make sure you remove them. That means throwing it in the trash, dropping it off at your preferred location, or even getting creative with your pals and throwing an “exchange” party where you exchange purses, home goods, tools, or books as a great way to recycle your favorite items.
3. CLEAN: Wipe all surfaces and floors down. You know your routine. Apple Cider Vinegar and lemons are great ways to naturally sanitize your home.
4. AIR: Open the windows and let the fresh air in. If you can take it a step further, have your HVAC ducts cleaned every three to four years and replace the filters as often as once a month. Ionizers and diffusers are another great way to ensure proper air circulation in the home.
5. WASH: This includes bedding, rugs, towels, you name it. You can make your detergent by using:
· Washing or Baking soda: 6 cups
· Soap: bars of 4.5 – 5 ounce soap, finely grated. One made with coconut oil works best.
· Lemon essential oil for a fresh clean smell
· Oxy clean or peroxide to brighten whites
· Vinegar: 1-2 tablespoons can dissolve excess detergent and salts off of clothes, as well as resets the pH level to alkaline which is good for your skin.
Spring is a great time to clean your home to make it a healthy environment that is dust and all allergen-free for your pets and loved ones. Just remember to start from within and enjoy that fresh spring air!
Real Estate Broker, Licensed in the state of Oregon
Published East Medford Life Magazine - January 2021
Shanon holds an MBA in International Business, loves writing in her “At Home with Shanon” column that has been delivered to 47,000+ homes in Medford since 2014, has appeared on the Real Estate Radio Show, and was also featured on A&E TV network’s Real Estate Reality TV show.